Sunday, January 3, 2010

Is Spaghetti boring?? Not always!

How many of you use spaghetti night as the lazy cooking night? (I'll wait for the crickets to stop chirping) In my single Mom days, it was how I lived. As I got further along in the kitchen it was the lazy cooking night. Now it's - I've still not done it completely from scratch (that will come eventually) but how can I jazz it the jar sauce?

A jar sauce can serve as a great starting base for a great spaghetti night. Tonight, I used the Classico line of tomato and basil. Most times I make spaghetti, it's ground beef, sausage, ground turkey or we've even used ground lamb in our house for our protein. The star tonight was meatballs. (giggle- sorry my inner dork tends to show its self from time to time)

I might have had time or the energy to make the from scratch today but in the words of most of the Dewey siblings "meh!" When I saw the bag available at Costco yesterday of pre-made frozen Italian style meatballs - I went LAZY COOKING NIGHT! (LOL)

So here is how tonight went after last nights extremely involved dinner -

Break out the crock
Chop: Green Bell Peppers, Onion, Garlic
Pour in Classico
add Peppers, Onions
8oz free range chicken stock (it's just really good)
diced tomatoes
tomato paste
about a cup of Chateau St Michelle Merlot
Italian seasonings
1/2 cup Parmesan
enough meatballs to feed 4 people
cover and turn to low since about 11am

This was great! My only complaint is I either picked a bad pepper (the diced pieces were rather bitter in the sauce) or does that mean I added them too early? Hey - I said that my cooking ventures would always go my way! I mean really, I've only been at this seriously for less than a year.

Tomorrow night we are having panini's for dinner thanks to my AMAZING family who gave us the Griddler for Christmas. (let me tell you what - this thing is A W E S O M E! Used it a ton already!)

We all know what Spaghetti looks like - so forgive me for no picture today.

Still to come:

Shrimp Scampi and a new Crock recipe that will come in handy in Feb as our temps drop!

Night y'all!

Love U!

3 comments:

  1. yum! your idea of "lazy" spaghetti night has become quite involved! I have a great meatball recipe I'll pass on to you later, super quick and easy, and very delish in soups or pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I love a good easy recipe! :) I'm gonna try dad's Squash Bisque here pretty quick too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, its me Teri again, I was wondering if you had cooked the peppers before hand it might have gotten out the 'bitterness' sometimes i find the pepper skin can be bitter, so if you dont precook them with your protein maybe try peeling them?

    ReplyDelete