Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Omeletes by The French Chef & What's next?

Julia Child the ever famous The French Chef was on PBS today making Omelets. Who knew that what I've been making as an "omelet" is considered by Julia to be leathery eggs! Huh! She recommended a deep skillet with high sides that was non stick. Hmm. I've done my one person omelets in a small pan - low and slow. She said "They are quick and shouldn't take you more than 30 seconds to make". Say what Julia!?

You beat your eggs with a splash of water to fluff them up a bit when you beat them. Then you lube your pan with a tablespoon (hello french cooking! would you like some more butter with that?) of butter - get it on the highest heat your stove will muster - and then dump your eggs in before the butter browns. Then you basically shake it around till it folds in on it's self and give it that saute flip that Julia called "jerking" lol - it's barely enough for the egg to set - before dumping it on your plate and topping it with goodies. You can also stir in your goodies for your omelet before putting the egg mixture into the pan and shaking the hell out of it for a few seconds and that's a "French" omelet. WHO KNEW!

I personally have become really good with the low, slow & covered method regardless if Julia the great thinks if they are leathery! Matt & Nate never complain! Just this morning Matt had a two egg, sauteed mushroom & Havarti omelet. He loved every bite! :)

I guess the moral of the story is kids: make your "omelet" the best way it speaks to you! You like them a little more cooked? Give it a lower heat so your eggs don't burn on the bottom and cover it with a lid so the top cooks at the same time (less moving the pan around to get the egg on top to cook) and add your good "stuffing" and fold it over! :) GEEZ! *how in the world omelets can be so complicated is beyond me!*

What's Next!?

Well all 3 readers :) Here's what is on the list of potentially what's next! Tell me what you think! I'll make it! *these jumped out at me from the cookbooks I have*

Gnocchi with quick Tomato Sauce
Crispy Chicken with Parmesan Tomatoes
Chicken stuffed with dried Tomatoes & Basil
Potato Crisp Chicken
Chicken Ragout
Boeuf Bourguignon
Texas Style Chili (this is an entire blog on it's own! the great chili debate)
Three Cheese Lasagna Rolls
Bayou Dirty Rice
Chicken & Dumplin's (southern staple?)
Chicken Positano
Beef Wellington for 2
Skirt Steak Stroganoff

Now I realize there is a LOT of chicken on this list. It's CHEAP PEOPLE! :) I'm cookin' for 4 on a budget! :)

Much <3


3 comments:

  1. I've never tried covering my eggs to cook them, I'll have to try that! I'm terrible at flipping them! Make gnocchi or ragout, yum yum, and healthier too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The potato crisp chicken sounds yummy & something the whole fam might like. I'd love to hear more about it.

    And thanks for sharing your cooking experiences with us. I'm enjoying the read very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I've been MIA - but I'm working on my lasagna blog. :) Should be up today :)

    ReplyDelete